CP Executive train in Albany

CP Executive train in Albany

Tuesday, June 1, 2021

New O scale display shelf

A year or so ago I purchased an inexpensive HO scale display case on Amazon. I liked that it had a see-through glass door that kept dust out but let me quickly and easily gain access to my trains. I hung it up and filled it quickly with prized items... too quickly, in fact... and so I bought another one right away. Just seeing my trains makes me happy and I actually think I enjoy it more than running them. I feel as if I am walking into my own curated museum.

I have a couple of O scale trains that I wanted to display too, but they wouldn't fit in the HO shelf. So what's a guy to do? How about purchase a similar shelf in O scale? I had to have a friend help me install it, but it went up pretty easily. The supplied hanging hardware is worthless so they were replaced with L-brackets, which aren't as pretty but are a lot more sturdy. 

It turns out that those two A&A tinplate cabooses will only fit on the shelf they are on, and in the middle of the row. They are just slightly too tall for all of the other shelves, but the manufacturing tolerances of the cabinet were sloppy enough that they fit there. Wow... the shelf is already nearly full and I have other On30 cars to put in it. I hope I don't need another shelf already!

It's a good thing I don't have a lot of G scale equipment or I would need yet another display case. And yup, I checked but they don't make one. Probably for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment