CP Executive train in Albany

CP Executive train in Albany

Saturday, January 2, 2021

Setting up a small home workshop

Power tools aren't necessary to build good models. But, good tools are necessary to build good models. And, power tools certainly make life easy. Things like files and screwdrivers are easy, but what about drills? I have had a corded drill for 15 years but only this year bought a battery-powered cordless one. I figured it wasn't worth the expense only to have the batteries die (my first cordless drill that I bought died after only 2 charges, and that left me very cautious about them). What about a drill press? Very nice, but not entirely necessary if you have steady hands. A miniature belt sander is awesome for various tasks, but can be replaced with regular sandpaper and files. 

How about a bandsaw? A friend of mine recently purchased one for me as a Christmas gift and it is an excellent tool. Actually, he purchased a handheld, corded Dewalt saw and I bought a custom table that it mounts in. This is the type of tool that can take your fingers off if you aren't careful, but with proper use can make your life extremely easy. I can't wait to use it.

And here is what my "workshop" looks like now. It is still a work in progress, but there are lots of things that I have used so far on my projects. From left to right is the aforementioned bandsaw, a belt sander, a drill press, and an angle grinder. If you are going to work in metal, even for G scale projects, some of these tools should be considered essential. I guess the same thing goes if you own a house. And all were gifts from a special friend who helps me on lots of projects. I really owe him a lot of thanks for them. I am still looking for a lathe and a mill, but those will need to wait as want large ones that will also be useful for my 7.25" gauge trains.



1 comment:

  1. That's a nice selection of tools. My robotics team has a handheld bandsaw, and I never realized you could turn it into a table bandsaw. I'm totally getting one of those!

    ReplyDelete