CP Executive train in Albany

CP Executive train in Albany

Sunday, July 4, 2021

Happy Fourth of July!

Happy Fourth of July! As promised last year, I am posting pictures of my favorite steam locomotive painted up for our nation's bicentennial scheme in 1976. The Arcade and Attica Railroad decided to spruce (?) up Baldwin #14 with highlights in red, white and blue. Of course, there was the already-standard orange lettering on the tender sides.

Note the color of the handrail on the smokebox front, the blue coupler cut lever ends, the red foot steps on the pilot, and the blue and white lining on the boiler side walks. 

The tender coupler cut levers and steps were also painted, too. The blue isn't as visible in the picture below, but the handles are indeed blue.

Quite colorful, though it didn't last very long. I think by 1977 #14 had been repainted into more "traditional" (at least for the A&A) colors. Perhaps that is a good thing. Still, I love that this little railroad decided to participate in the bicentennial hoopla.

And here is #14 in my personal favorite scheme- black and yellow. Most people don't think of it as attractive, but since that was how I saw it as a child that is what my memories are of. Here she is in 1986:




No comments:

Post a Comment