CP Executive train in Albany

CP Executive train in Albany

Friday, July 16, 2021

Roundhouse "Lady Anne" gauge 1 live steamer

I have a passion for British steam locomotives, especially narrow-gauge ones. They are short, chunky, and frequently colorful. Roundhouse Engineering has been making 1/19 scale live steam locomotives since 1982, and the "Lady Anne" model was right there at the beginning. I have wanted one for many years... at least 15 if my old catalogs are any evidence of this.

After some very poor results with an Accucraft Ruby kit, I decided I had enough messing around and ordered a proper Lady Anne from Roundhouse during the summer of 2019. By the way, "Lady Anne" is the name of the model and as my wife's name includes "Anne" I am keeping it named as is. My engine was ordered in maroon, a color that is probably their most recognized for this model, though I custom ordered mine with a gloss black smokebox. This is how they used to come from the factory, but lately the smokeboxes are painted matte black and I wanted mine to match the model I dreamed about for years. The dome is also painted maroon to match the body but I recently ordered a plain, brass dome which is what they used to come with. 

I haven't been up to the Adirondack Live Steamers lately due to my illness and the pandemic, but this past weekend was Family Day and I thought it was a great time to try her out. They are already tested extensively at the factory upon assembly, but I had never run one before so I was a little apprehensive. I shouldn't have been. She performed well, though I frequently had the gas burner too high and produced wasteful amounts of steam. I will need to learn how to fire her properly, which likely means turning the gas burner down really low once pressure is up. My train consisted of three modified New Bright train set cars and one LGB car. Proper coaches are likely a winter project for next year.

She took two years from order placement to delivery, and along the way there was a mistake but it was easily corrected. And now I am very pleased with her.

I also took my Boston & Maine "Bluebird" engine for a spin (featured in the Jan/Feb issue of Live Steam & Outdoor Railroading magazine) and she ran really well. 

Overall, it was a very pleasant way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful model! I spent too much time up at the G scale loop during the spring meet, as EJ's train broke down there... Looks like you had a great time, as I'm sure I will tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete