CP Executive train in Albany

CP Executive train in Albany

Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Weathered RS-11 engines

Pierre at Elgin Car Shops finished up my two recently Atlas RS11 acquisitions (D&H #5003 and #5005) and I think that they look great. Prototype photos showed that by 1984 the lettering on the sides was heavily faded, and in fact much of it had peeled away to show the older "Delaware & Hudson" spelled out along the sides. Modeling that would have been difficult unless I had started with a model painted in the earlier lightning stripe scheme, then painted over it with the modified lettering, and then removed some of the lettering. I will try that someday, but not today. However, I asked him to heavily fade both of the engines to look sun bleached. 

He did that, and that effect is great. However, both engines and especially #5003 were very dark and oily by 1984 and I think I will continue to work on them by adding dark pin washes to bring out the cracks and crevices where this gunk will hide. I purchased the supplies and when I get a clean workbench I will give it a try.





No comments:

Post a Comment