CP Executive train in Albany

CP Executive train in Albany

Monday, November 16, 2020

Railfanning: Steamtown in 2019

Last summer I visited my childhood best friend who lives in Montrose, a small Pennsylvania town just south of Binghamton. While there, he suggested we visit Steamtown (he was a train fan too) and having never been there before I jumped at the idea. Being 2019, it was 150 years since the completion of the transcontinental railroad and there was a large indoor exhibit focusing on that. Must of the museum was well done, though like all museums they have too much stuff and not enough time/money/indoor space/insert other stuff here.

They did have a fully restored, and operating, roundhouse and turntable which was neat to see. And, they had many large and impressive steam locomotives including Big Boy #4012. However, that wasn't my favorite engine in their exhibit. 

Here are some pictures I took during the trip, which included a ride in a coach behind their shop steam engine. 











For lunch, we walked over to the Steamtown mall via a large trestle that crossed over the yard. That is how I was able to obtain the overhead shots above. Inside the mall was a Delorean, my favorite car! Naturally, I had to get my picture with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment