CP Executive train in Albany

CP Executive train in Albany

Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Greenery for Cut Corner

Like my previous section, I added static grass to this area too. I purchased a longer type (12mm) and chose a straw yellow color. I wanted something besides all of the green I was using, and I was hoping it would look like reeds and tall weeds that can be found in ditches and such. However, it was a bit too long for my HO scale layout and some of the strands bent over in curved profiles instead of standing up straight. So, I spent a bit of time ripping them out. In the picture you can see the backside of the rear hill and the smaller foreground hill where I added some foam but didn't spend a lot of time adding static grass. Those areas can't be seen once the backdrop is up.

Speaking of which, I also added a three-piece backdrop to Cut Corner formed from three pieces of Gatorfoam which I glued together and reinforced in the rear with gussets cut from more Gatorfoam. The blue tape is temporarily holding it all together while the adhesive dries.

To add the blue sky graphics I plan to cut a piece of long styrene and curve it around the inside of this shape. However, until then I have a white, segmented sky. 

I ordered a tree starter set from Scenic Express, which will be the next step for the hills. The light green I used is also very light green and sort of looks like toxic waste oozing up! I hope that the trees, and some more muted colors of grass, will tame it a bit.

2 comments:

  1. Nice scenery work, although I must say the light green reminds me of the grass Menards puts on the bases. I'm sure some more grass and trees will tone it down a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. They say to mix up your shades of green, and this light green is actually a "blend" but there is still too much light green. But, like all things this layout is an experiment and I haven't used static grass before.

    ReplyDelete