CP Executive train in Albany

CP Executive train in Albany

Sunday, October 4, 2020

Newly discovered info on D&H RS-3 #4099

Last summer I wrote up a post about all of the Alco RS3 locomotives that were still on the D&H's roster in May of 1984. At the time, I wasn't sure about the status of engine #4099. I had a picture from 1981 showing it with severely faded "Delaware and Hudson" small font lettering and small numbers on the sides, but I didn't know if it ever received large numbers or not. Further, records showed that it left the D&H's roster in 1984 and was sent to the Cuyahoga Valley Railroad in Ohio but I couldn't be sure when that happened. If it was before May of 1984, I shouldn't have a model of it on my layout. So, I waited for further information...

...and I finally found the slide above! While blurry and over-exposed, it does show #4099 (the lead engine on the right) with large albeit faded side numbers in Colonie on July 29, 1984. So, I can at least confirm that it was on D&H property in May of 1984. What's more, I can now say that the three engines all had different paint and numbering schemes:

#4075 - blue dip with large yellow numbers; 

#4099 - lightning stripe and large numbers; and

#4103 - lightning stripe with small "Delaware & Hudson" lettering, and probably not large numbers.

As for #4118, I don't know if it was still on the roster or not. The search for information continues. I have seen a slide dated 1983 showing the engine in Pennsylvania. However, that isn't conclusive.

Now, I just need Bowser to finally release their long-anticipated RS3 engines!

No comments:

Post a Comment