CP Executive train in Albany

CP Executive train in Albany

Tuesday, December 15, 2020

The Quest for perfect Fruitcake

Since we aren't going out to eat very much I decided to take some of the funds that would normally be spent on dining out and instead decided to make Fruitcake, something that has been on my culinary bucket list for years. I love the stuff, and have eaten just about every type I have found (warning: the stuff from the dollar stores is vile!)

Since I haven't been working on my layout much this past week (spray paint drying and all) I decided to talk about my fruitcake. My mother has a family recipe that is pretty good but I wanted something that wasn't so dark. I also wanted lots of things I really love like colorful fruit and brandy. Casting a net online for suitable recipes, I found a recipe by King Arthur flour that seemed perfect.

The misses and I then went shopping, and I was determined to pay my own way. Thus, every ingredient (except for the spices) was purchased specifically for this project. And a good thing too, as there was practically nothing left over when the dust cleared. And I think it all cost about $50, not including the booze. I even purchased King Arthur brand flour... as a return good will gesture for their recipe. Finding the red candied cherries was very difficult and no grocery stores had them in stock. As a last resort I went to Walmart to find them. Is there a cherry shortage out there?

I started by cutting up all of the fruit and soaking it overnight with some brandy. The gallon Ziplock bag contains the results. All told, I calculated it all up and there are 4,000 calories exactly in the bag! Not exactly diet food, despite all the fruit, eh?

The next day, I beat all of the flour, eggs, sugar, and spices in a KitchenAid mixer. It was a wedding present from my parents, and likely the most important power tool in the house.

Then, all of the nuts and fruit were stirred into the batter.


At this point, I wouldn't have minded eating it with a big spoon (the beater attachment and spatula did not go into the dishwasher dirty!) but there were better things to come. In re-reading the recipe, I discovered that I needed two metal baking pans 9" x 5" and I didn't have them. I had Pyrex glass ones but they were slightly smaller. Who knew? Not wanting to risk the recipe failing at this stage, I went out and bought new pans. 

After a low, slow baking process they were cooled and then brushed with more brandy. Then, as the Italians would say, it was "Ora di mangiare" (time to eat).

All told, there were over 5,200 calories in each cake. And that didn't include the brandy that I have been brushing them with. That's 250+ calories per 1/2-inch slice. And it is so worth it! Since I don't travel and can't see many people I don't have the ability to share it. So, one will be frozen in the freezer and one will be eaten until I pass out. Even Clover might get a bite. It should be a good Christmas after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment