My wife and I thought that it was a pretty good match for the color of the building, and I doubt anyone else even knows what the building looked like in 1984. I sprayed on several light coats while holding the building from the inside with my left hand completely hidden inside a large garbage bag for protection. The structure is huge, and it was awkward but it went okay. I aimed for completely coverage without spraying too much paint that would hide details or leave runs. I then set it aside to cure for a week.
Next, as I was preparing to mask the sides for the gray roof I discovered a gap in one of the sides along the top. I filled it with a micro-thin strip of styrene but it required painting that side green again, which started the drying clock all over again. Finally, I was able to move on to the roof. I masked all of the edges in preparation to painting with blue painter's tape. The extra-wide rolls are perfect for this.
I usually remove the tape as soon as I have sprayed the paint, which sometimes results in problems if I have missed an area because then I have to mask the whole building again. Here, though, the gray went on smoothly and perfectly. I used Krylon gray primer, which is really easy to work with because Krylon has wonderful tips.
I noticed that where I braced the underside of the roof the styrene had deflected a little bit and left ridges. It is quite visible with the partially-glossy primer, but I hope once weathered it won't be visible. I think I am cursed... no matter how I brace (or not) brace a structure, the styrene will warp a little.
Next, the building was sealed with Dullcote and then given a black oil paint wash. I did the roof first, focusing most on the flat areas. Every couple of minutes I would blow over the surface to break up large areas of paint. A more diluted wash might have been better.
This worked out well, but I noticed that the side facing away from me (the aisle side, sadly) had some of the black wash run down and it caused visible drips.
So, I held the building at an angle so that green paint could only land on that side and quickly resprayed that side. Then, I was happy with the result.
The brickwork on the sides really captured the black oil paint wash and looked pretty grubby, but in parts it was a bit overdone so I then used more paint thinner to tone it down a bit. In the areas by the loading door I left it a bit darker.
I also installed a Walthers' air conditioner unit detail. Then, I went around and drybrushed brown "rust" and dirt highlights to the roof and sides of the building. I still need to redo the landscape around it, and ballast the track into the siding where I adjusted its height, but overall I am pleased with it.
A view from the side of the building facing the backdrop which will never be seen.
Post a Comment