CP Executive train in Albany

CP Executive train in Albany

Sunday, March 12, 2023

The Troy Branch Local (1996)

Here is a shot of the local D&H train working the Troy Branch in March of 1996. I have previously written railfanning the Troy Branch in 2015, though at that time it was run by CSX. In 1996, when this picture was taken, a Guilford engine was used for power. Perhaps CSX assumed operation of it later. I like how it still warranted a caboose, even though by now crew sizes were probably only 2 or 3 crew. 

I have tried to place where it was taken but I can't be sure. The bridges in the background are pretty distinctive and the only thing that exists now which could be them are those that carry High Street (the "Troy Menands Bridge") over the Hudson River. The below satellite has South on the top and all of the bulldozed property in the bottom-right corner could have once hosted the large concrete tank shown in the picture above. If not, then I am at a loss. Oh well. 

Thankfully, when I drive along the highway and look across the river I can still see covered hoppers of salt are still moved around on the branch. So it isn't dead yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment