CP Executive train in Albany

CP Executive train in Albany

Wednesday, September 14, 2022

15th Wedding Anniversary

Today is my 15th wedding anniversary! I know, I can't believe it either. They say time flies when you re having fun, and that is pretty much true. Our first date in 2004 was tracking down long-lost Arcade and Attica caboose #304. I knew it was somewhere in western New York but that was it. My wife, while shopping in a Dollar General store near its location, overheard some people talking about it. We put our information together and obtained the address.

After taking pictures of the caboose, which was looking very ragged, we then went to eat at a nearby restaurant called the Side Street Station. It was train themed with various train pictures, model trains, and other railroadiana. A train also ran along the ceiling. It was a fun meal, and though (I think) I had been here once as a kid with my parents it was a lot more enjoyable to go with my lovely girlfriend.

Several years later our wedding was held nearby, and so we came here during our Honeymoon to eat lunch. Sadly, we found out that they were closing the very next day! They did give us one of their menus to keep as a souvenir.

Fast forward several years and in 2014 for my birthday weekend we went back to Arcade. We rode the trains one day, photographed them the next, ate wings at the original Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY, and spent a wonderful time in western NY. But, the highlight of the trip was a surprise I had planned for my wife. I took her to a bright red caboose in downtown Arcade which was next to an ice cream stand. As we were were eating our ice cream and touring the caboose she saw lots of pictures of it on the inside, including some of its restoration. Finally, it dawned on her that it was A&A caboose #304! It had been relocated to Arcade and fixed up. She really enjoyed that part, and I got another picture of myself next to it (this time from the other side).

I hate that cupola because I don't remember ever seeing an A&A picture with it, but oh well.

We have been back many times since, and I love how we can share it together. My wife loves flowers, so I think this is a good picture combining one of her passions with one of mine. 

And now our family has grown a bit, so here is a recent picture from the live steam club showing us all together. I am not sure if Harrison enjoyed it our not!

I love you honey! Happy Anniversary!

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations to you both! I think Harrison wanted to be the Engineer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the memories... Great way to jump right in and show her what she was in for...

    ReplyDelete