CP Executive train in Albany

CP Executive train in Albany

Thursday, January 30, 2020

Then and Now: entrance to Kenwood Yard

March 1984
Here is a slide I bought recently showing a southbound D&H train entering Kenwood Yard in Albany in 1984. There are lots of things I love about the shot. The three leading engines all have different D&H paint schemes and the fourth engine is a B&M engine. The fifth is another D&H blue-dip. I don't see any freight cars behind the engines so unless it is pulling some flat cars then it is perhaps a light engine move, or maybe shifting engines around in the yard. The setting sun reflects the time of day I usually have free to get to the Port of Albany to railfan, and taking photos with the heavy shadows is difficult. I like the crossing gate in the middle with its vibrant contrast of colors, too.

CP Executive train in Albany
August 17, 2010
Compare that shot with the one on my blog's masthead, which shows roughly the same perspective. The orange and white building is clearly the same. That is a CP/D&H Executive Train (and a mighty short one at that) which toured part of the system around this time. I remember I was shopping for furniture with my wife but when we saw the train go by Huck Finn's I changed my mind and went to take pictures instead. I barely got this shot! While this area isn't actually modeled on my layout right now, I might add it in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment