CP Executive train in Albany

CP Executive train in Albany

Monday, December 30, 2019

2019 Wrap Up

The year of 2019 will first and foremost be remembered as the year of the plague. While I am normally a healthy person, I discovered I have Crohns disease after about ten months of wondering why I felt so lousy and I am only now learning how to cope and adjust to it. As a result, some of the time that I could have spent modeling was instead just wasted doing other things. Still, it isn't literally killing me and there are worse things to have. Oh well.

But, I did accomplish several things in 2019:

1.) I completed the requirements for my NMRA "Master Model Railroader - Civil" certificate. It didn't go as smoothly as I thought it would (a random wire staple used to secure a pair of feeder wires cut through the insulation of both and created a short circuit that I had to track down) but in the end it was worthwhile. The paperwork will hopefully be processed in 2020, and at that time I will revise my fourth layout section to redo the yard tracks and remove the turntable.

2.) I began in earnest to scratchbuild three cars. With my MMR Civil paperwork complete, I am picking up these projects again and am looking forward to progress over the next several winter months.

3.) I installed display shelves along the wall which allow me to look at my HO scale collection of engines and sentimental cars every time I go up and down the stairs in to the basement. This is very encouraging even when I don't do anything else on the layout.

4.) I finally got to New Hampshire to visit Rich Chiodo's magnificent Isle of Shoals Tramway garden railway.

5.) On the 7.25" gauge (1/8 scale) railroad front, I finally finished my battery powered Boston & Maine "critter" engine and Burlington Northern green bulkhead flat style riding car. Now when I visit to the Adirondack Live Steamers I can run my own train, and I will have seat capacity to offer rides to visiting family and friends.

6.) The wife and I visited Baltimore, including the great B&O Railroad Museum.

And, I have some things to look forward to in 2020:

1.) The wife and I are planning a trip to Toronto in April of 2020 to attend the Great British Train Show. Because it is in Canada, I had to get a passport... something I have never had. Naturally, there was a problem with the paperwork but I am hoping it will all be resolved soon. There is a "Little Tokyo" in Toronto too, which means the misses will get to have some fun things to do whilst I am wandering about the show.

2.) I contracted with a company to install a drop ceiling in my basement. This has been a long time coming, and won't be done until May 2020, but I am excited about the prospect of finally having my layout protected from dust and dirt dropping down from above. This will give me the confidence to being adding scenery to my layout.

3.) My 7.25" gauge (1/3 scale) Welsh narrow gauge steam locomotive's valve gear is nearly done. It took a lot of work this past year to fabricate and machine the various bits and pieces of it, and until it was all put together I really didn't have much to show for it. I am hoping the chassis will be able to run on air in 2020. Updates are found on the Chaski home machinist forum.

Here's to hopefully a great 2020!

No comments:

Post a Comment