CP Executive train in Albany

CP Executive train in Albany

Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Batten Kill Railroad - 40th Anniversary

The Batten Kill Railroad recently celebrated its 40th Anniversary. I spent some time years ago railfanning it for a day, and I also started building a model of its old excursion train. I spent a wonderful afternoon up in Cambridge, NY, listening to slide shows, taking pictures of FOUR operational Alco locomotives, and meeting some great people. I also bought a souvenir placard which I had signed. 

I wrote up a nice blog post about it... which the internet suddenly caused to be deleted. So, instead of rewriting it I am just reposting some pictures with minimal commentary.

The long-lasting RS3 #4116 was set up next to the freight house so people could take a look inside the cab.

Info banner alongside engine:

Newly unveiled BKRR #5015, an Alco RS36, made for quite a show of color. It was based on the notorious D&H "experimental" scheme which was only used on one locomotive and never repeated.

Info banner alongside engine:

This lightning-striped engine has been used quite a bit at the BKRR over the past year or two. It is another Alco RS36 painted up for the Southern New England RR #5012.

Info banner alongside engine:

Hal Raven's Alco switcher and caboose were also at the events.

Info banner alongside engine:

The weather was perfect to go outside and walk around the trains, which all looked in perfect shape (except venerable #4116).

Multiple interviews were also conducted by Ken Karlewicz of people associated with the BKRR, perhaps for inclusion in his upcoming book.

There were many interesting slideshow presentations throughout the afternoon. I made sure to get a front seat for them. They weren't presented in order, and I missed the last one.

Bill Taber, current owner of the BKRR (see in the gray plaid shirt) was present to answer any questions that came up. He clearly remembered details from 40+ years ago!

Admittedly, I didn't stay for the last presentation as the day was growing long and I had to head home. But, it was a wonderful experience and I thank all the people involved who helped make it great.



2 comments:

  1. I was also conducting interviews for a video documentary/coverage of the event. Ken's "me me" attitude regarding the interviews and photographs caused me to loose interest. I may or may not come through with the video at some point. Oh well, I got a couple decent photos anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an excellent photographer. I am sure your pictures are a lot better than mine!

    ReplyDelete