CP Executive train in Albany

CP Executive train in Albany

Saturday, October 22, 2022

R.I.P. Dick Elwell (10-21-2022)

I learned last night at our monthly NMRA meeting that Division member Dick Elwell had passed away that morning after a long battle with cancer. It hit me hard. His Hoosac Valley layout was, in my opinion, the nicest layout I have ever seen in my life. And frankly, it should be, considering he spent more than 50 years working on it (in multiple locations... it was moved to his new house). I have visited it several times and operated on it in 2011, which is when most of these pictures were taken. I was scheduled to operate on it again only three weeks ago but sadly he had to cancel due to illness. 

His attention to detail, his fantastic colorful fall scenery, and his focus on modeling New England scenes have directly inspired me to achieve those goals myself on my next layout, which will be O gauge and set in New England in the fall. 

There are a lot of pictures in this post, but they don't capture even half of what he managed to accomplish on his layout. He was featured on the cover of many different modeling magazines. In 2011, when I visited him, he was the cover story for R.M.C. but they had never sent him a copy of the issue and he wanted to know how it turned out. I reached out to an old friend, Otto Vondrak, and arranged for a few copies to be sent to Dick directly. It was the least I could do for him.

He, and his magnificent layout, will be missed. I will let the pictures do the talking...








































































5 comments:

  1. Im sorry to hear of his passing. His layout inspired many New England railroad modelers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all the photos and also for the sad news. Mr. Elwell's layout was amazing and he will certainly be missed. As a boy, the photos of his layout in the model railroad press made a very big impression on me, much like the V&O. Mr. Ewell's very realistic large scenes, detailed structures, track work, locomotives and rolling stock set quite a high standard. My condolences to his family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats truly sad. The man was a master modeler and a legend among New England modelers. R.I.P.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm devastated that I never got to meet this man, one of my heroes in modeling. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m saddened to learn about his passing. Admired his layout for many years. Thanks for sharing. May he RIP

    ReplyDelete