CP Executive train in Albany

CP Executive train in Albany

Thursday, March 14, 2019

Uh oh... wrong tube!

With my caboose project nearly finished as far as styrene fabrication goes (it still needs some work done, however), I decided to start my next scratchbuilt car. Or two cars, actually. I will discuss them sometime in the future, but for right now I want to relate an unfortunate story. After building the frames for these two cars, I decided to fill a couple of cracks with Testor's Putty. You know, the whitish stuff that never seems to stick where you want it to and makes a mess when sanding? Yup, that stuff. Well, I used it on these two cars and it worked beautifully. It flowed nicely into the joints, it was easily removed with a blade from areas I didn't want it, and it wasn't grainy at all. I couldn't understand my good fortune but it finally was doing what I want model putty to do. Later that evening, though, I noticed it was sticky. I hadn't waited the full 4-6 hours so I left the cars alone on my workbench for a week. Then, last weekend I tried to sand away the excess and it was still sticky. That can't be good!

Even the D&H couldn't avoid a train wreck in 1985.
It turns out I didn't use putty at all. I saw to my horror that I had used the white "Hardener" tube from a 2-part JB Weld metal epoxy! I rarely keep it on my workbench but I had put it in the area where I store glues (it is a glue, after all) and wasn't paying attention when I pulled it out. I managed to scrape most of it off the models with a chisel blade, but I am not sure if that will be enough. Hopefully, I managed to avoid a train wreck!

1 comment:

  1. You might try some Tamiya putty, or perhaps Mr. Hobby. Better texture, in my opinion.