CP Executive train in Albany

CP Executive train in Albany

Saturday, July 15, 2023

D&H "Gray Ghost" #2311

The unique paint scheme that has since been dubbed the "Gray Ghost" is the result of the D&H Colonie paint shop being tasked with repainting GE U23B #2311 after an overhaul in April 1981. As the story goes, the railroad didn't have enough blue paint to do a proper "Lightning Stripe" scheme and instead improvised with an mostly-gray look. Considering there is a paint factory (Passonno Paints) located literally 5 minutes away from the shops, it is a sad indictment on the financial condition of the railroad that they couldn't splurge for enough blue paint to do the engine right. 

Some call it an "experimental" paint scheme. Others look at is as an extreme case of cost-cutting. A few dub it ugly. But I consider it neat.

Here is a shot of the fairly new looking engine in Conklin, NY, on June 13, 1981:

I have seen sources claim it was an intentional experiment and I suppose it was in its own right, but I don't think the D&H set out to create it (unlike the blue/yellow scheme for #5015). They just ran out of pennies in their piggy bank. By the end of the year, they aparently had acquired more blue paint because this was the only gray engine to appear on their roster.

Fast forward two years and this shot in Allentown, PA from September 10, 1983 demonstrates how badly the gray paint showed dirt and grime:

All of the D&H U23B engines were off the roster by the end of 1983, having been traded to Guilford owned Maine Central. Within a couple of year everything had completely faded and the "ghost" was nearly transparent. Here she is in Wiscasset, Maine in September 1987. The Maine Central painted their emblem on the cab side and renumbered the engine #290. Also note all the leaves stuck in the side radiator.

Because it is an odd ball I just love it. I even considered setting my layout in 1983 instead of 1984 so that I could include it. But, there is still a work-around: I also like the look of the M.C. patch-paint jobs, so I might buy the Atlas HO model and do the same thing 'Cause I ain't afraid of no ghosts!"

No comments:

Post a Comment