CP Executive train in Albany

CP Executive train in Albany

Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Wrecked C&CV Thrall All-door boxcar (1984)

Here is a slide I found on Ebay while searching for Maine Central information. As soon as I saw it, I pounced on it. Dated May 1984, the seller labeled it "Maine Central" because of the orange boxcar on the right (notice the circle which is part of their Pine Tree emblem). But, I wanted it because I thought it also showed a Thrall All-door C&CV boxcar, which I have written about previously. The large yellow block letters on the top of the door panel on the left make me think it is one of them. The D&H only owned 12 of them total. It is from my modeling period of May 1984, but the presence of snow meant it is probably somewhere besides New York (like Maine?).

A couple of months later I found another picture from the same accident on Ebay. It shows the aftermath of the wreck, with some of the cars shuffled around. The slide is labeled "Bangor & Aroostook train", which explains the snow. However, it also conclusively proves that the All-door car was a C&CV boxcar. I own HO models of #28071, 28074, and 28075, and if the car above is one of them it likely shouldn't be on my layout. I guess we will never know...

This final shot below is of another boxcar from May, 1975. It is number #28075, and there is a 1/12 chance that it is the same car as shown in the two pictures above. 

No comments:

Post a Comment