CP Executive train in Albany

CP Executive train in Albany

Friday, July 19, 2019

Broken turnout switch rods

I have been intentionally avoiding working on the layout for months. Longer than that, actually. Since I qualified for my Electrical M.M.R. certificate last summer I haven't really done anything on the layout. And most of that is because I am waiting for my switches to break. When I installed my Micro Engineering switches, I had problems with some of them. Not only were several broken during installation, but three more had their throw rods damaged. Actually, it broke into two pieces and I spliced it together with a piece of styrene on top. But I don't trust it. Several other modeler friends have also expressed recent issues with Micro Engineering turnouts. It is sad to see a great company put out faulty products.

Not knowing if I wanted to replace them with Peco switches or something else, I just left them alone for over a year. Well, this week I finally purchased some printed circuit (PC) board ties from Fast Tracks. I will make new switch throw rods. Hopefully they will be stronger. It will test my soldering skills, but I have come a long way in the past few years. And, if that doesn't work, I won't be any worse than I am right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment