CP Executive train in Albany

CP Executive train in Albany

Monday, February 25, 2019

D&H blue wheel car #15961

Last summer I was scrolling through the internet and came across a website showing a D&H blue flat car that was set up to carry wheels. I was really excited that it seemed to be in excellent condition (perhaps it had just been repainted?) and I loved the blue color. During the late 1970s, the D&H went through a period of austerity when President Selig Altschul simplified paint schemes for motive power to a solid "blue dip" scheme (discussed elsewhere). Maintenance of Way (MoW) equipment such as the work passenger cars, cranes, and gondolas were also painted blue. I assume that this car was painted during that period.

I reached out to the photographer, Mark Wright, who has a website devoted to collecting G.I Joe figures. We talked about his photograph and he said it was from Rouses Point, but he couldn't remember when he took it. He had another three-quarter shot of the car and sent me both images in a high resolution format. He graciously gave me permission to post them on my blog, which I really appreciate. Other than these pictures, I have seen no references to it at all.

I would like to build a model of this car and hoped that someone would have more information about it. A post on the Railroad.net's D&H forum didn't result in anything, so I then asked on their NYS Railfan forum. If you have any information on it, I would love to hear from you!

3 comments:

  1. That looks like a good modeling subject! I will ask around about the car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 11 tapered ribs and perimeter bulb angle with rounded corner pieces, straight sides and fishbelly center sill lead me to believe that this car was rebuilt from an old 48ft gondola car. Almost all D&H MofW equipment was repurposed and rebuilt from outdated rolling stock.

    ReplyDelete