CP Executive train in Albany

CP Executive train in Albany

Monday, April 16, 2018

Atlas D&H #5005 RS-11

(from Atlas' website)
A couple of months ago Atlas announced that it was offering another two engines in their "Classic" line lettered for the D&H: RS-11s #5000 and #5005. Both will be in the lightning stripe scheme with large numbers on the sides. I believe that this is the first commercial plastic model of a D&H RS-11 with large blue numbers in the lightning stripe scheme. I have seen others with either small numbers or just the road name, but not this. And I really like the large numbers, because once they are weathered they really help establish my layout in the early 1980s.

#5000 in August 16, 1984
So, which engine to buy? My research indicates that both engines received large hood numbers in the early 1980s and still had them in 1984, though by that time they (and the yellow shields on the hoods) were horribly faded. The numbers on #5005 were still prominent in 1984, but on #5000 they were peeling badly and nearly gone on at least one side by November 1984. Modeling that might be interesting, but it likely would be easier to start with an engine that has factory painted small numbers and add large number decals over it, instead of trying to do it vice versa. So, I ordered #5005.

An interesting discussion of these engines can be found on the Atlas Rescue Forum by member LVRR325. He questioned the logic of producing D&H engines that were only in that paint scheme (large numbers) for a brief period (1982-1987). If I had to guess it would be because there are already other RS-11 engines out there in lightning stripe schemes with small road numbers or no road numbers by Atlas and Life Like Proto 1000. Thank goodness they are doing something different!

The last time I pre-ordered an Atlas engine it took a year to arrive, and I had forgot all about it when the dealer called to inform me. I was told that Atlas' delay was not unusual. Normally I purchase DC engines (Silver series) and have DCC installed, but the difference between the dealer's price for the DC engine + DCC installed versus the DCC/Sound factory installed (Gold series) engine was only about $20. So, I splurged and ordered it fully loaded. It is ironic that I will have sound in only three of my engines, and all of them are my RS-11s!

Now, if only a manufacturer would offer #5003 in the striking solid blue with yellow chevron scheme. Atlas???

No comments:

Post a Comment