CP Executive train in Albany

CP Executive train in Albany

Friday, December 10, 2021

D&H flanger / caboose #35824 (1984)

Here is a neat image of a D&H caboose taken April 12, 1984 in Colonie Yard. It looks like a transfer caboose but to my knowledge the D&H never owned cabooses specifically set up for this purpose (transfer cabooses are utilitarian to the extreme and are essentially mobile offices with a desk, bathroom, stove, and not much else). Instead, this appears to be an old flanger which originally had steel blades mounted underneath that scraped ice away from inside the rails. There is a lot of open space visible below the deck so I would guess the blades have been removed. I don't know if the D&H used it as a caboose anymore or if it just sat and decayed on a yard track. Online pictures show it staying in Colonie through at least the end of the decade.

I purchased this slide with the idea of scratchbuilding this model, though it looks so ugly that I am not sure I could see myself putting in the effort to finish it. 



2 comments:

  1. Bluford shops released a "Transfer caboose" that looked similar at one time, as well as a Napierville Junction bicentennial one. Do you know if the NJ 39 is prototypical? I can't find any real pictures of it, but I love it so much that I might just buy one anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a picture of Napierville Junction #39 in the Bridge Line D&H color guide.

    ReplyDelete