CP Executive train in Albany

CP Executive train in Albany

Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Amtrak Heritage Unit #712


Amtrak has a soft spot in my heart. I have fond memories of my parents and grandparents bringing me to the train station. And, I think that the Phase III scheme with its equal spacing of the red, white and blue stripes always looked the best. But, in 1994 the new Phase IV scheme with dark blue and white pinstripes was unveiled and that slowly marked the end of the Phase III scheme. So, imagine my delight when Amtrak joined the Heritage Unit bandwagon. In 2016 it was announced that all locomotives on the "Empire State Express" service would be repainted in a modified Phase III scheme. I had seen a couple but never got a picture of one until recently when I went trainspotting in Amsterdam, NY. This shot shows #712 slowing for the station only a couple hundred yards ahead. While not the best shot, I will take it! Now I can cross it off the bucket list.

No comments:

Post a Comment