CP Executive train in Albany

CP Executive train in Albany

Thursday, July 4, 2024

Happy Fourth of July!

Continuing my series of Bicentennial engines featured on our nation's birthday, here are some images of two of them. They belonged to the Genesee & Wyoming Railroad... the tiny 14 mile long shortline that grew into an international empire. 

The G&W's first engine to be painted in these colors was Alco S4 #36. This shot is dated October 25, 1985 Note hiding in even brighter orange paint behind her is Dansville & Mt. Morris #2 (featured elsewhere on my blog on my 44 tonner post here) It was later renumbered #1776 for the holiday, but later in life was renumbered back to #36 though it kept the colorful paint.

Another of the G&W's engines to wear red, white and blue was Alco RS1 #30, which in the spirit of the event was renumbered #1976. This picture of her is from September 16, 1983. She too reverted back to #30 but kept her paint.

Nearly every other engine on the G&W was, and still is, painted in the family trademark orange, black and yellow scheme. So, a bit of variety was a nice touch for this small western New York shortline. I have connections with the G&W as it controls the Rochester and Southern (R&S) which runs through my former hometown of Rochester, and it also controls the Dansville & Mt. Morris (D&MM) which runs through my wife's hometown. I have spent a lot of time railfanning both.

A search of my blog on July 4th will show some of my other featured engines.

No comments:

Post a Comment