CP Executive train in Albany

CP Executive train in Albany

Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Happy Fourth of July!

Happy Fourth of July! On our nation's birthday my mind goes to things like fireworks, picnics, and Popsicles. As a result, I am going to skip my traditional Bicentennial engine post for this year.

Instead, here are two D&H RS3 engines (#4084, #4078) on the turntable in Rouses Point on July 4, 1975. Their unusual colors are the result of a leasing agreement with the Providence and Worchester Railroad whereby the D&H sent them six engines for their start-up operations. The P&W painted them in a snappy orange, black and white scheme that came to be nicknamed the "Popsicle scheme." When they were returned, a D&H shield was added to the cab and that was it. I don't recall ever seeing a picture featuring two of them together before... muchless sharing a turntable!

Speaking of two Popsicles, when I was a child my mother would purchase the original "Double Pops" which came two-to-a-package (cherry please). However, she would always break them in half in the paper wrapper so that we would only end up with one. Perhaps it was to save money or prevent us from going off on a crazy sugar high, but whatever the reason I never had a double pop as a kid and doubt I could handle that much sugar today!

Here is another slide I purchased several years after the first one. Note that the engine is the same #4078 as shown above, though here it is heading north and towing a lone caboose pass the beautiful Lacolle Station in Lacolle, Quebec. I guess it was sent out on assignment back to/from Canada. It was also dated July 4, 1975, but I am not sure if it was taken before or after the first picture. It looks like such a peaceful time and place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment