CP Executive train in Albany

CP Executive train in Albany

Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Railfanning: D&H caboose #10 in Oneonta

My wife and I took a trip to visit her family in Wellsville, New York (that's in western NY) this past weekend, and we had enough time built into our schedule that we could stop along the way to take pictures of things that interested us. As I was driving by the third and last exit for Oneonta, I remembered that D&H bobber caboose #10 was located in nearby Neahwa Park. Not having a smart phone, we used my wife's to navigate to the park.

Ironically, I discovered that the park was only about 30 seconds from where I had stopped last year to photograph a Norfolk Southern train. I had seen it while driving on parallel I-88 and pulled over at the nearest exit and drove around until I found a railroad crossing. I had no idea I was literally at the entrance to the park when I had stopped. But, who keeps a map of Oneonta in their trunk? 

The park has a nice little display set up for the caboose, including an informative sign. The glass enclosure keeps the caboose safe, but makes picture taking a bit difficult.

While my model caboose is finished, I am glad that I finally was able to visit and see its big brother. 

No comments:

Post a Comment