CP Executive train in Albany

CP Executive train in Albany

Saturday, February 22, 2020

New York Central Railroad family retirement check

The local NMRA Hudson Berkshire Division hosted a "Show and Tell" during our monthly meeting this morning. The theme of the event was railroad memorabilia. I was planning on attending but sadly something has come up which precluded it. So, I decided to post what I was going to bring on my blog.

This family heirloom is a New York Central Railroad retirement check written out to my great grandfather Anthony Maggi. I know absolutely nothing about his work history with the NYC RR. It is dated from 1935 during the depression and I am not sure why he decided to keep it instead of cashing it. In today’s dollars it is only worth $1.51 so perhaps he was amused by the low amount. Someone in our family framed it and eventually it was given to me once my grandparents discovered my love for trains.













No comments:

Post a Comment