CP Executive train in Albany

CP Executive train in Albany

Monday, November 18, 2019

Visiting Mike McNamara's Northeast Kingdom layout

I had a bit of an adventure over the weekend. Mike McNamara, who models railroads around St. Johnsbury, Vermont in 1980 and whose layout is titled the "Northeast Kingdom," participated in a recent set of open houses. Having been a fan of his website and blog for several years, I decided to go and see it all first hand. Unfortunately, it was bound to be a long trip (4 hours each way) and I only had maps and a flip phone. So, in preparation of the drive I purchased a brand new GPS (yeah baby... I'm now in the 21st Century!) and figured out how to use it. In addition to Mike's layout, I also planned to get a cheesesteak so I researched good places near where he lived. All in all, it was set to be a nice drive weather wise and I was looking forward to putting the layout as I visioned it with the layout as it actually exists.

I wish I could say something interesting happened but because of the GPS it was a pretty uneventful drive. I didn't get lost. Mike's place was easy to find. People in NJ drive crazy (but I suppose they say that about NY drivers too.) More to the point, I found Mike to be a gracious host and while I was there his layout operated near perfectly. I swear I was studying the details in one section so hard I willed a boxcar truck to derail, as for the rest of the time when I was in the other room it ran just fine. Beyond that, his layout exceeded my expectations and I came away with a ton of great ideas for my own railroad.

He had three trains running unattended during the open house, and I appreciated that one was an Amtrak train. Too many people these days just ignore Amtrak, but if you want to model passenger trains in the last 40+ years (I know I do) then Amtrak is generally the only way to go. His layout sections were extremely well detailed, and showed a focus on creating realistic scenes instead of just making funny cameo poses. Nothing seemed out of place, and nothing seemed forced. His trackwork was very well done and I loved that nearly all of his switches were controlled by edge-of-layout ground throws. That is what I converted my layout to.

Like any layout, there are areas that he still needs to finish. I can't imagine the frustration of not having any projects to work on, and hopefully in the future I can come back and see what future progress is made. I do wish I had a track plan of the layout and Mike said there is one on his blog somewhere (update: see link in the comments section), so next time I will print it out in advance to get a better idea of how it all comes together.

I don't plan to add many comments to these pictures. I think they speak for themselves. I will only add that his layout looks much better in person than my pictures portray it, and despite spending much of my life in the Kodak city I still consider it a victory to remember to take the lens cap off before pushing the button.

    



















5 comments:

  1. Thank you for the great pictures of the this great model railroad. I can never see enough of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks for sharing pics of Mike's layoyt- I too am a blog fan.
    Also greatly appreciate your Amtrak comments as a Montrealer consist is a regular on my pike.

    KLS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly a great layout representing a spectacular area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you were able to make it down and had a good visit!

    Here's a link to my blog post for the Track Plan. As mentioned, this is basic info and not every track, structure, etc. I'll have to get back to updating it soon.
    https://mainecentral.blogspot.com/2013/01/trackplan.html

    And you forgot to tell us where you went to get a cheesesteak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for posting a link to the track plan. It is helpful.

      I went to Chick's Deli in Cherry Hill. I didn't realize that they didn't offer Cheese Whiz (which I prefer) but it was still a good sandwich. Perhaps if I come back down next year I will venture into Philly itself.

      Delete